Sunday, July 24, 2011

Heat Transfer

Heat Transfer Experiment Reflection

After reflecting on the results of the heat transfer experiment that tested various materials to find the best insulator, I found that conduction and convection were taking place.  The ceramic mug that was used to hold the water became warm through conduction.  The materials I tested as insulators were: a thick plastic lid, a piece of wood, a piece of latex, a paper plate, a cotton cloth, and aluminum foil.  The data showed that after forty minutes the mug that was covered with the aluminum foil was the warmest.  Convection currents within the liquid were cooling the liquid as the heat was moving from the warmer object to a cooler one. 

If I were to test more materials to find the best insulator I would test: styrofoam,  plastic wrap, a piece of thermal underwear and a piece of notebook paper.  I have chosen these objects because through researching I have found that materials that make good insulators are materials that contain pockets of trapped air like the feathers on a bird.  My prediction for the best insulator in this group of materials is the styrofoam.

If I were to test liquids other than water, I would test syrup and soda.  I would test these liquids because I am curious to see if the density of the liquid affects the rate of cooling. 




2 comments:

  1. Great idea with the thermal underwear. I wonder what other types of clothing would work as great insulators. I know that materials we wear should be able to "breathe," but that doesn't bode well for insulation. I also tested a piece of cotton cloth, but found that it was the worst insulator of the bunch. I also had the same result with the foil, in that it ended up being the best insulator.

    I never thought of trying to do this experiment with different liquids, but that is a great idea. I think I would test coffee, tea, and hot chocolate, along with water to see if the substance in the mugs make a difference when it comes to heat transfer and cooling rates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed when I read that you used thermal underwear. I wish I had thought of that. I thought of something like a leather glove or a potholder, but didn't use either one. So, what did you find out? Which one was the best insulator? I tried aluminum foil, plastic wrap, wax paper, and newspaper and aluminum foil was the better one, but not by much. It only held the liquids 2 degrees warmer after three hours.

    I also like how you would try different liquids. Perhaps after finding the best insulator, it would be interesting to find out which liquid stays naturally warmer the longest.

    ReplyDelete